Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day Three: Jewelry making day!


Today was our first jewelry making day! We headed to the center early to get everything set up. Everyone arrived around 9am and we jumped right in! Each of them bring their own talents and skillsets, and it was fun to play around with materials to see what they can do. We started by cutting up fabric I had brought with me. Delietha was put in charge of the sewing. Fabian & Mamaille were in charge of cutting the fabric into strips. Ginnette & Gina started with wire wrapping “kwe” onto the bracelets. We then moved to beading. Using the materials they had mixed with sample materials I brought with me, we began beading necklaces and bracelets together. We used wooden beads from Port-Au-Prince with shell pieces. I gave all of the girls eff.Y.bee shirts and they were so excited about them, they immediately put them on! It was so sweet.






We work together off of large wooden tables, play music, sunlight pours in, and these women who are all close friends have a great time working together, supporting each other in an encouraging and positive way knowing that they are working towards bettering their future. What I think the most amazing part of this program is beyond generating income, is the sense of female empowerment and community- the positive energy, the motivation, how they each are working together and inspiring eachother- building stronger friendships and self esteem. 

We listened to Haitian music while we worked, each of us working to make something different. We had a translor with us  Mildren, who helped me to speak with them. The girls began to open up to me today. As they made jewelry, they had me try it on, and asked me if I liked pieces they were working on. We had so much fun together. I had the girls each sign the back of little stamped bay lavi baggies I brought with me. I'm so excited to post their collection. They made earrings, necklaces, bracelets, & silk  wraps. There's nothing they can't do. 

Fabian told me she wants to write a play about her life after her injury. She told me “lavi la belle”. Her injury has made her appreciate and look at life as being more beautiful than before.

After we wrapped up for the day, we headed back to the communal kitchen, and the ladies, Rachel, Betsy, Victoria, Anita, & I made homemade pizza. We sat outside on the balcony with the cool breeze and Florine, a local lady, came to give us pedicures and manictures.





Florine’s daughter lost her leg during the earthquake and is currently living in the U.S.. Florine saved enough money to start her own business doing beauty and open her own shop! Her smile and laugh are absolutely contagious. She did an impeccable job! Using a baking pan with water, she poured body wash into it and made a spa right outside on the balcony. It’s amazing to see female entrepreneurship even in a small village.


We spent the evening in Mamailles room where everyone gathered around. Victoria let Mamaille braid her hair and Fabi taught us some Creole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment